Friday, October 2, 2009

An American Cook in Turkey


             Thank Allah I like to cook!

It's a great way to learn language and get positive reinforcement. There are a lot of challenges in any kitchen and here I have a few extras. Our kitchen is small. Two people is tight! We have the minimal pots and pans.  No gadgets. No measuring devices. Everything is metric. Don't forget to turn the water heater off to use the oven, or you'll blow the main fuse and remember to turn it on or you"ll regret the cold showers in the morning.
       Don't get me wrong. A small kitchen means everything is in reach! We were stocked with plenty of dishes, cups, silverware and essential cooking pots, pans, and utensils. There was even beer in the fridge when we move in! The Turkish double tea kettle is a pleasure to use and the glass tea set presents Turkish tea so well we've quit coffee. There is plenty of
cupboard and counter space. We cook have a great gas range with an electric convection oven. So we  were good to go.
     A good chef knife and cutting board were purchase right from the get go;  Ya just can't cook without then.  So cooked for weeks without any additions. Of course, as the cuisine developed, I picked up a few more things. For instance, a screen sieve for cleaning rice, a small glass square casserole dish and 2 loaf pans for baking.   I love the minimalists approach so much I am reluctant to get measuring cups/spoons. You are encouraged to use common sense and approach recipes a bit more organically. This common sense approach applies to the markets too. As an illiterate,
I rely on smell, color, and taste to learn "bu ne?" (what's that?) and I'm thumbing my translation dictionary constantly.  It's been great learning. At the end of the day I look forward to  sit on the kitchen balcony and look down on the men playing tavla (backgammom) and I simmer up some strategies as I saute.
    So that's our kitchen life....ya..big deal right?! So what's cooking????  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool, your "minimalist" approach to cooking is kind of what I have been doing in my new apartment at school this year; getting utensils and dishes as we need them. We're steadily getting our kitchen stocked. Any good recipes you want to share? I'm always looking for more then just pasta and burgers.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete