Monday, October 26, 2009

School

Many people have been asking me to write about school and what it is like. So here goes. First of all, I teach third grade English. Just the same as being a Spanish teacher in the states. Third graders get 11 hours of English a week, plus an additional 40 minutes a week of English Club. In club we are putting on an English production so they are learning songs and lines to a play. Classes are 40 minutes a day and they have to back to back lessons in a row with a five minute break in between. Considering for how long they sit for, the kids are very well behaved (in class). Right now we are working on proper present pronouns and before and after and time. besides my teaching time I have regular duties during lunch and recess and have provide after school tutoring once a week. The Turkish class day is very long and kids spend an enormous amount of time in school. They get out of school around 4:30 and start at 8:20. The also arrive to school by private service buses, often leaving their house an hour or so before school starts. Many kids are very excited to learn English and speak very well. But like in any classroom there are mixed abilities and some kids know very little. Overall I find their comprehension and spelling very good. Their spelling is better in fact then some of their English native speakers!

The school campus is beautiful. The school has been running for over 100 years. The campus is huge with olive trees and beautiful meandering pathways. Our building is five years old and each classroom has smart boards and a sink. However, the entire educational system is set in accordance with the Turkish Ministry. They set the dates, what we teach, changes and it is not very modern. Teachers are expected to carry these huge "black books' which are to be signed every period. This includes recess duty, attendance and what is taught. Also teacher's have to turn in weekly lessons plans for the ministry. This leaves very little room for emergent or alternative education ideas. Probably my least favorite part of the job. there is no changing it as it a old system and all the school administrators are acting in accordance to the ministry.

The students are great and fun. They are hard workers and have very high expectations for themselves. They talk to me a lot in Turkish. I can get the idea of what they are saying but usually it is lost in translation. A huge difference among them and their American counterparts fall around food. The Turkish cuisine is what they eat and there is very little variety in it. Lunch is provided everyday and made by a wonder chef. Kids sit with their classes and eat. They eat whatever is in front of them. They eat off of real plates, glass cups and use real silverware. For example, lunch today was lamb and chickpea stew with rice and a side of yogurt. They rarely serve dessert and when they do kids still eat their entire lunch and then dessert. Salt, spices, lemon, and olive oil are on the table and students add it to their food to their liking. They even pour water from water pitches into their own glass! It is eating with the kids that I notice the biggest difference between them and other kids. They are very independent.


Overall, I am very happy with my job and my teaching partners. If I could I would change many things. I am guest in their system and am in no place to questions rules and regulations as it has been working for them for many years. They will slowly change to their own accordance in time to come. The kids are kids and some things do not change no matter where you are. They laugh, run, play kitty and need their teachers attention as much as the next kid. I just hope I can lean all their names in the next weeks. That has been very hard! The pictures I have included are of my classroom , the cafeteria, the library (including one of Gary's five birthday chairs he painted), the common hallway  (on my floor) and the outside of my building.
Let me know if you have questions. Love, Rena



 

No comments:

Post a Comment