Monday, October 19, 2009

Naber! (What's up!)





       Doors are starting to open as opportunities knocks. The last few weeks have fairly busy. I went to meet  an new friend, Oya, at the Fine Arts Facility (Güzel Sanatlar Fakültes) at Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi. She is a ceramic artist completing her masters in ceramics. How did I meet this artist? Thanks to Rick Mahaffey in Seattle and the open arms of the ceramic world. Rick met Oya in a few different countries at ceramic seminars/ symposiums and told me to contact her when I arrived in Izmir. Now here I am, and after settling in, I gave her a call and she invited me to tour the ceramic department. I spent the day at the University checking out the kilns, wheels, clay and meeting a few of the professors.I am soon going to talk to the head of the ceramic department in hopes of being
allowed to use the facility, for an exchange of knowledge and labor. I don't know if it is a possibility but I will propose the idea of an artist in residence. It would be fantastic if this works out. I didn't know how much I'd missed that mud..."ya don't know what ya got till it's gone." 

       Oh! On that note. I purchased my first Turkish pottery. It is a extremely simple, functional country casserole pot of terracotta, unglazed and very soft bisque from a pit fire. I made a delicious lamb stew in it and I'm ready to season it with many meals. I highly recommend you get one for your kitchen. 


         Then, I met another friend of a friend who knows this family with one year old. The family wants to teach their daughter to be multilingual. So they started from birth talking to her in English and Turkish. They have hired me to play and talk with the girl for an hour a day, three times a week, to develop her vocabulary and speech. Her name is Gülse, which translates as Smile or Rose, and she is all smiles, just  about to walk, with a great personality. She can go from place to place holding on, or she'll walk holding hands.  Her Birthday is this Wednesday. Yes, another cool Libra!  I am excited to attend my first Turkish family celebration and meet the whole family. It's a great "job".
     So that's my recent news. Other than that I keep house, cook, clean and such. I study Turkish 1-2 hrs a day,  meet my pal Veysi at his pastry shop to talk and been working on some sketches and one painting on the easel. 

Time to hit the market for tonight's meal. 
 Sonra! (later!)


1 comment:

  1. Gary, do you know if your Casserole is from Sorkun? They make earthenware pots with a soft clay that almost feels greasy when fired. You can cook with these pots over an open flame. I bought a couple of pots there and they said to season with olive oil and heat a bit then cook away.

    Please say hello to Oya for me.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete