Monday, September 28, 2009

Back to School-Back to the Beat ya'll



     Fall is here according to the sun and I see pumpkins, squash, and apples in the farmers carts, but it's still in the 80's. School is in session and the streets are full of kids in uniforms. A country is, as you know, 90+% Muslim yet all the kids look like catholic school students. Same uniforms. I see them in the streets at all times of the day. Come to find out there are two sessions, so they are either coming or going  to school and hit the streets for lunch too.  I see this as I hang out at a pastry shop drinking tea and trading language with my new friend Veysi.
        Rena is enjoying her job. Learning the differences in education philosophies and adjusting to the Turkish ways. Her co- English teacher is Turkish. She is a fantastic teacher, a graduate from SEV. Rena is fortunate to be under the wing of such an organized, well respected professional. Learning the kids names has been the hardest part, so far.  Rena's ready to dive in.
     Me.......I hang out. I am the home maker. Breakfast on the table, dished in the sink, laundry and such. Take walks, shop and hang out with Veysi. On Wednesday I bus down to the bazaar. This bazaar is mostly farmers markets and on Wednesday it's calm. I wonder through and pick the best looking stuff with list in hand and My Bible/Koran in back pocket (translation dictionary). I have met a few great farmers, whom I visit every week. I walk out with bags of the freshest food, including farmers cheeses and eggs. This country is the 100 mile radius diet!
      I often find a recipe in this Turkish cookbook and translate a list for shopping. I was in the grocer for an hour in front of the spices with my dictionary.  I was looking for baking power. I learned a lot. I was offered help by at least 6 people. I must have looked either crazy or totally clueless. Some truth on both accounts. Come to find out, like back home, the packing powder is over by the flour, but was in a yeast type packages. I was there for another hour learning too!
                     "bu ne,?bu ne? bu ne?"
      My tongue and throat is getting use to the words and my vocabulary is growing. Still haven't mastered verb tenses. The words have such minor pronunciations changes, I am easily confusing things. I hope I haven't offended someone (i.e. Su/ water, Sus/ shut up ).....yipes! My favorite thing to do is to ask bu ne? (that's what?) and point. I get some weird looks, like, you don't know what water/grapes/tomatoes....are????  Hey I'm illiterate and gotzta learn me some words. evet!

2 comments:

  1. What are the yellow fruity-looking things? Are they sweet? Savory? A treat or an ingredient you would use to make a meal? I've never seen anything like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. crazy! right? This was on our first week of Turkey....didn't understand what he said, but, its good for the belly. We weren't in the market for any medicinal fruits that day so we passed.

    ReplyDelete