Thursday, August 6, 2009

Learning Language


Overwhelmed with words. I am starting slow with P's&Q's, numbers and colours. It's a fascinating agglutinating language with vowel harmonies in a subject,object,verb order. For instance: In order to change the "to be" statement into a question the verb ending added to the word is divided and the question identifier is added in the middle turning Guzel(beautiful) to Guzelim (I am beautiful) to Guzel miyim? (am I beautiful?) the extra y is added to extend and seperate the i_i in mi_im......Got it! yeh!
I am a bit lost...but lutfen(please), sog lun(thank you) , ne demek Ingilizce(what does it mean in English) and Tamam(ok) will get me far for now. Serefe! (Cheers)

5 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your take on Turkey! Enjoying your blogs so far.
    patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merhaba,
    Gary I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences. living in another country is/can be a real treat. You will get to know some locals and become "kind of" local yourself. I still have friends from my stay living in Japan and can't wait to get back.

    You will hear Evet a lot as well as Tamam. I think the meaning is similar. You will have fun with a Turkish key Board if you use one to email. Don't forget Cok (the C has a tail making it a CH sound) as in Cok Guzel for very Beautiful.

    Watch out for the Raki and if someone says Fondip (which means slamming the glass of alcahol).

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. Since when do you (or anyone else for that matter) use words like "agglutinating?" Hello Professor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys you picked the right country. I totally prefer languages which feature agglutination. It's going to be a treat following you guys on talkingturkeygeorger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi its Zoe!

    I talk about language learning all day long and I am fascinated with Turkish. I guess putting the "y" in between the two vowels is sort of like adding the "l" in french when a verb starts with an "H" for better linking purposes? TOTALLY COOL!



    Zoe

    ReplyDelete